Hinkle Outdoor Living
Does My Project Require a Permit?

Does My Project Require a Permit?

hinkle hardscapes backyard hardscaping

Unlike conventional landscaping, adding hardscaping structures to your backyard may require you to make significant changes to your outdoor space. Many projects involve digging and moving of soil, or the addition of large decks and high retaining walls. In many cases, this could require you to obtain a permit from your local government before moving forward with your plans.

The requirements vary greatly from state to state and it is always better to be safe than sorry, so check with your local government before starting any major home improvement projects, including building hardscaping structures. If you are living in Kansas City, the city’s requirements can be found on the website of the Department of City Planning and Development. To make it a little simpler, we have gathered the most important information you need to know about permits in Kansas City related to landscaping and hardscaping projects.

When Do I Need a Permit in Kansas City?

Not all hardscaping or landscaping projects will require you to apply for a permit. In Kansas City, for instance, there are a handful of hardscaping projects that require a permit while the remaining projects are exempt from the permit application process. More specifically, the Department of City Planning & Development requires permit applications if you are building a retaining wall that will exceed four feet, or a deck/platform higher than 30 inches above grade.

Additionally, most inground pools will require a permit. If your hardscaping project requires electrical or plumbing work, you will certainly need to apply for a permit for this work as well. Lastly, keep in mind that most hardscaping and landscaping work requires significant digging in your outdoor space. While digging may not require a permit, you will need to secure clearance before getting started. Always call your electric company and ask them to come out to mark where you should and shouldn’t dig before moving forward with your project.

How to Obtain a Permit in Kansas City?

Once you have determined that a permit is necessary for your project, you can move forward with the permit application process. The process is outlined on the website of the Department of City Planning and Development and it is fairly simple to download a blank application from their website. Along with the application, you will also need to submit building plans to the department.

When you work with the team at Hinkle Hardscapes, you can expect to have assistance with the permit application process. Your contractor will work closely with you to create detailed building plans and to complete your application accurately before submitting it to the Department of City Planning and Development. The help provided during the beginning stages of your hardscaping project by a professional contractor is invaluable, one of the many benefits of choosing to hire a contractor instead of doing the project yourself.

If you live in Kansas City or the surrounding areas and you would like to create a backyard retreat in your outdoor space, click here or call (816) 608-8870 to schedule a hardscape design consultation with the team at Hinkle Hardscapes.





Photo Courtesy

Award-Winning Backyard Design

Praise for Hinkle Outdoor Living. 

Almost There!

Please insert the following to complete your download.

"*" indicates required fields